8:00 am Chair’s Opening Remarks
Meeting Consumer Demands
8:10 am Evaluating Current Consumer Trends in Meat & Seafood to Create a Competitive Alternative
- Mihir Pershad Co-Founder, Umami Meats
- Focusing on current consumer trends in the meat and plant-based industries to evaluate what different consumers are demanding in product choice.
- Translating consumer trends into the product creation stage for different physical and nutritional functionalities.
- Examining what the most important factors are in a product from a consumer’s perspective, such as sustainability and nutritional density to reflect the right features in product positioning.
8:50 am Starting to Explore the Future Packaging & Branding of Cultivated Products to be Attractive to the New Consumer Market
- Fabio Beninati Product Innovation Leader, Amadori
- Selecting the appropriate expertise to support the creation of a focused branding strategy.
- Looking at the importance of conducting market research to apply this to early-stage decisions in packaging designs.
- Examining the right language to use to communicate the purpose and benefits of your product to the consumer.
9:30 am Panel: Creating Consistency in the Language Used Across the Industry to Talk About Cultivated Meat & Seafood
- Gabor Forgacs Chief Scientific Officer, Fork & Good
- Nicky Quinn Head of Marketing, Aleph Farms
- Anita Broellochs Founder, Balletic Foods
- Michelle Egger Co-Founder, BIOMILQ
- Discussing the variety of language used in the cultivated meat and seafood industry and why this is causing resistance.
- Learning what can be changed in the language used to facilitate greater mainstream consumer acceptance.
- Improving industry standards for communication to create a consistent language and help reduce consumer confusion around cultivated products.
Structured Networking & Morning Refreshments
10:50 am Panel: Evaluating Different Options for Partnerships & External Suppliers to Reduce Overall Production Costs
- Shayne Guiliano CEO, 108 Labs
- Alan Perlstein CEO, California Cultured
- Kara Leong Chief of Staff, Turtle Tree Labs
- Inspecting where the highest expenditure is in formulation and processing to see where partnerships would be most beneficial.
- Evaluating the different partnerships being established between cultivated protein companies and biotech’s to reduce production costs.
- Assessing whether external partnerships and suppliers would be beneficial to you: How do you select the right partner to meet your goals?
11:30 am Building a Sustainable Future: Seaweed as a Cellular Agriculture Platform
- Ok Jae Koo Chief Operating Officer, Seawith
- The most abundant resource on the Earth, algae, was never a superstar as food source.
- Macro-algae and micro-algae has high light energy to organic mass transfer ratio to make alternative protein, the cultured meat.
- SeaWith is suggesting the algae as a sustainable cell-agriculture platform.
12:10 pm Audience Discussion: Utilizing Machine Learning to Identify Opportunities for Process Optimization
- Understanding how machine learning can be adopted as part of your research and development plan.
- Solving the knowledge gaps in biological systems through looking at other tools to help model more accurately.
- Harnessing insights from production modeling to inform process optimizations: Where can the most impactful optimizations be realized?
1:50 pm Discussing the Ways to Accelerate Fish Cell Multiplication for Downstream Use in Structured Tissue Processes
- Duong Nguyen Associate Director of Research & Process Innovation, Bluu Seafood
- Discussing the basic principles to consider for successful cell multiplication.
- Looking at the different characteristics of fish cells when they are proliferating.
- Evaluating the challenges of taking undifferentiated cells towards differentiation and into a muscle tissue structure.
2:30 pm Case Study: Developing a Cell Line with the Potential for Industrial Scale Application
- Lauran Madden Chief Technology Officer, Blue Nalu
- Understanding the principles to consider when developing a cell line that can be scaled: What are the common hurdles faced by leading players?
- Exploring ways to create a more reliable method for cell line development that will yield the same results when continuously produced at a large scale.
- Assessing what needs to change to ensure this can be replicated for continued growth in industrial level production.
3:10 pm Case Study: Developing & Opening Our Pilot Plant to Fast-Track Scale- Up & Commercialization
- Exploring the benefits of building our own pilot plant and how well these have been realized.
- Analyzing the A-Z process of planning and launching our first pilot plant: What were the challenges along the way and how did we overcome them?
- Revealing the progress that had been made since opening our own pilot plant and how this has impacted our path to commercialization